Born in Co Kerry, he was a magistrate “possessed of considerable means, most of which he devoted, together with all his time, to the revival of the Gaelic Language and the organising of the Volunteers”. By 1912 he had moved to Dublin and became a member of the national executive of the Gaelic league and managing director of the nationalist newspaper An Claidheamh Soluis.
A co-founder and director of arms for the Irish Volunteers, he spent Easter Sunday delivering news of Eoin MacNeill’s countermand around the country in his De Dion car.
When he returned to Dublin he found his comrades had already risen so joined the GPO garrison. Described as “fearless” he was shot dead in Henry Place. A plaque to his memory can be seen in Moore Lane, Dublin. He is buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.