Jervis Street Hospital

Jervis Street Hospital

Jervis Street Hospital, now the Jervis Centre
Founded by six Dublin surgeons in 1718, anti-Volunteer forces took control of the roof of the hospital during the Rising. They used it as a vantage point to spray bullets at Volunteers travelling between the GPO and outposts around Henry Street.

During the fighting, firemen are credited with saving the hospital “even under bullets” to save the lives of people being treated there.