St Michael’s National School is built on the site of the former Richmond Barracks.
All those arrested after the Rising were taken here for procession, including the leaders who were held in the gymnasium prior to the court martial.
When British Prime Minister Herbert Asquith visited the barracks in mid-May 1916 he found they were “for the most part, men and lads from the country, who had taken no part in the Dublin rising”. Asquith mixed with the rebels at Richmond and demanded they be given the “best food possible”, much to the annoyance of the troops guarding them. The food at Richmond included roast beef and mutton, vegetables, bread, jam, butter and tea. Before the surrender, it was a RIC sub-depot and home to the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
Witness statements taken at Richard Barracks provide much of the information we know today about the events of Easter Week.